Saturday, June 21, 2008

Maximizing mileage (aka PLEASE SLOW DOWN!)

I have noticed a growing trend since gas prices topped $4/gallon - some people are driving slower! I know, it's shocking, but it's true. I drive a Toyota Yaris and currently average 33-38 mpg. On a really good day I can top 40 mpg. But it's hard. The reason it's hard is because I have a lifetime of aggressive driving habits to unlearn. Highway driving is ok, I keep it at 65 mph or a little under. That's a big improvement over my routine speed of 80+ (gosh, I hope my mom isn't reading this...). That alone gave an enormous boost to my mileage. The next hurdle is to ease into the stops and starts. I would like to learn the joy of coasting. How much sense does it make to hit the gas, only to brake at a curve 100 feet later? None at all, my friends. I would like to train myself not to punch it when the light turns green, to come up to speed slowly. All this will make a difference.

For those of you who may not have read one of the umpteen jillion articles on the subject, here are some facts and figures:

* Speeding, jumping on the brakes and flooring the pedal after a stop can reduce your mileage by 33%. One-third of your gas is being wasted if you drive this way. Wow.
* MPG can be reduced by 5 for every 10 mph you drive over 55. For example, say you normally get 30 mpg at 55 mph. Traveling at a rate of 65 mpg reduces your mileage to 25 miles per gallon. Increasing your speed to 75 mph (and you know you do drive that fast) will reduce your avereage to 20 mpg.
*For every 10 mph you increase your speed, you’re saving a whopping 10 seconds per mile.

So, armed with these items, I hearby solemnly pledge the following:
1. I WILL SLOW DOWN.
2. I will not treat a traffic light like a shotgun start at Indy.
3. I will leave earlier so I don't feel pressured to hurry.

And to all of those idiots out there, riding my bumper and thinking you can intimidate me to go faster, forget it. It won't work, so you may as well SLOW DOWN also. Just think, not only will you save gas, carbon emissions and possibly a life, but your blood pressure will be lower, too.

Just something to think about.


No comments: